June 14, 2023 by Pauline G. Carter
Got a feline friend that’s dealing with the sneezy woes of asthma? Just like us humans, our purring pals can fall victim to this pesky condition, too. So, how do you navigate this furr-real predicament? Simple. By choosing the “Best Litter for Cat with Asthma,” of course! But, with a dizzying array of options flooding the market, where on earth do you start? Isn’t it like hunting for a needle in a haystack? Fear not, dear reader, we’re about to untangle this tangled web. So sit back, grab a cup of ‘cat’ puchino, and let’s dive head-first into the litter box of knowledge!
Our Top Picks
Asthma In Cats And How It Affects Litter Choice
If your feline friend has been diagnosed with asthma, you’re probably wondering how to make them more comfortable and what steps to take to make sure they continue to lead healthy life. One of the ways to keep your cat comfortable is by choosing the right litter.
In this section, we’ll talk about feline asthma, its symptoms, and how it affects litter choice.
What Is Feline Asthma?
Feline asthma is a respiratory condition that affects cats of all ages, breeds, and genders. It is caused by inflammation of the airways in a cat’s lungs, making it difficult for them to breathe. The exact cause of asthma in cats is unknown, but it is believed that allergies and genetics play a significant role.
Symptoms Of Feline Asthma
It is essential to recognize the signs of asthma in cats as early as possible. Some of the symptoms of feline asthma are:
- Wheezing or coughing sounds like an unproductive hack
- Difficulty breathing, rapid breathing, or shortness of breath
- Lack of energy, lethargy, or loss of appetite
- Blue-tinged lips or gums suggest a lack of oxygen
- Open-mouth breathing
If you suspect that your cat has asthma, it is important to seek veterinary help as soon as possible. Your vet can diagnose asthma and prescribe medication to help manage the symptoms.
How Asthma Can Affect Litter Choice?
If your cat has asthma, choosing the right litter is essential to keep them healthy. Asthma can be aggravated by dust, and some types of cat litter produce more dust than others. Here are some tips to keep in mind when selecting cat litter for a cat with asthma:
- Choose a low-dust or dust-free litter: Dust-free litter produces less dust, making it easier for an asthmatic cat to breathe. Avoid litter made from clay or silica gel, as they can produce a lot of dust.
- Avoid scented litters: Scented litters can be harmful to cats with asthma as they may cause allergies or breathing problems. Choose an unscented or naturally scented litter instead.
- Opt for natural and biodegradable materials: Some good choices for low-dust litter are cardboard, wheat, wood pellets, and recycled newspaper. These materials produce less dust and are biodegradable, making them eco-friendly.
10 Best Litter For Cat With Asthma Of 2023
1. Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Ultra Cat Litter
- Brand: Dr. Elsey’s
- Manufacturer: Precious Cat
- Color: Ultra Unscented
- Dimensions: Height: 4.0 Inches Width: 10.0 Inches Length: 15.0 Inches Weight: 18.0 Pounds `
Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Ultra Cat Litter, an 18-pound bag of premium quality, delivers superior performance with 100% bentonite clay. Its medium granule size and texture ensure firm clumping while reducing dust by 99.9%, making it an ideal choice for allergy sufferers. The hard clumping feature prevents moisture seepage, facilitates easier scooping, and contributes to robust odor control, keeping your home fresh. Formulated for both single or multi-cat households, this hypoallergenic litter also minimizes tracking, ensuring the litter stays where it belongs – in the box. For a clean, low-maintenance litter box solution, Dr. Elsey’s is a stellar choice.
- Premium Quality: Made with 100% bentonite clay, the litter offers high-quality texture and granule size for an optimal experience.
- Low Dust: The formulation is 99.9% dust-free, making it ideal for cats and owners with allergies.
- Hard Clumping: The medium-grain clay clumps hard to prevent moisture from reaching the tray bottom, enabling easy scooping.
- Superior Odor Control: Natural ingredients ensure a clean, fresh smell in your home between litter box cleanings.
- Low Tracking: The unique formulation helps keep the litter in the box, reducing mess and clean-up time.
- Weight: At 18 pounds per bag, some pet owners may find it heavy to carry or transport.
- Not Biodegradable: Being 100% bentonite clay, this product is not as eco-friendly as some other litters on the market.
- Single Formula: While the medium-grain clay is generally versatile, it may not suit all cats, especially those with sensitive paws.
2. ökocat Less Mess Natural Wood Clumping Cat Litter
- Brand: ÖKOCAT
- Manufacturer: Healthy Pet
- Color: purple
- Dimensions: Height: 11.0 Inches Width: 7.5 Inches Length: 11.0 Inches Weight: 14.8 Pounds `
Experience a cleaner, healthier environment for both you and your cat with ökocat’s Less Mess Natural Wood Clumping Cat Litter Mini-Pellets. Specially crafted for long-hair breeds, these absorbent mini-pellets excel at clumping and odor control, minimizing fur tracking and household mess. Wood fiber blocks enzyme bonding to prevent ammonia and odor formation, while immediate absorption leads to easy-to-scoop clumps, simplifying litter box cleaning. 99% dust-free, the litter ensures a cleaner pour and a healthier home, eliminating the annoyance of dirty clay dust. This plant-based, biodegradable litter lacks artificial fragrances, synthetic chemicals, toxic dyes, and GMOs, degrading quickly and cleanly, championing sustainability.
- Superior Absorption: The mini-pellets in ökocat’s cat litter have exceptional absorbency, ensuring quick clumping and odor control.
- Exceptional Odor Control: The natural wood fiber prevents enzymes from bonding with waste, eliminating the creation of ammonia and odor.
- Easy Maintenance: The litter’s clumping capability facilitates easy cleaning of the litter box.
- Healthier Home Environment: Being 99% dust-free, this cat litter contributes to a cleaner and healthier home by minimizing the spread of dust and allergens.
- Eco-friendly: Made from plant-based materials, the litter is free from harmful chemicals and GMOs, making it both biodegradable and compostable.
- Potential Allergies: While unlikely, cats might be allergic to the natural wood fiber used in the litter.
- Tracking: Despite being less likely, there’s still a chance that pellets might stick to the cat’s fur and be tracked around the house.
- Cost: Natural, plant-based cat litter like ökocat might be pricier than conventional clay litter.
3. Dr. Elsey’s Premium Clumping Cat Litter
- Brand: Dr. Elsey’s
- Manufacturer: Dr. Elsey’s Cat Products
- Dimensions: Height: 4.0 Inches Width: 14.0 Inches Length: 20.0 Inches Weight: 40.0 Pounds `
Dr. Elsey’s Premium Clumping Cat Litter – Cat Attract is a high-quality cat litter made with 100% bentonite clay that ensures strong clumping and easy scooping. The medium-grain texture minimizes dust to 99%, keeping your home clean and allergen-free. Its low-tracking formula ensures less mess while providing superior odor control for both single and multi-cat homes. What sets it apart is the natural herbal attractant that draws cats back to their litter box, solving common litter box problems. Unscented and composed of natural ingredients, this 40 lb pack ensures a fresh and clean litter box experience.
- Strong Clumping: Made with 100% bentonite clay, this litter forms hard clumps that won’t break down, allowing easy and efficient scooping.
- Low Dust and Tracking: The litter minimizes dust to 99%, reducing allergens in your home, and its low-tracking formula keeps your floors clean.
- Superior Odor Control: It efficiently neutralizes odors, ensuring a fresh-smelling home, even in multi-cat households.
- Natural Herbal Attractant: This unique feature helps solve litter box problems by attracting cats back to their box.
- Natural Ingredients: The litter is unscented, composed of natural materials, offering a safe choice for your pets.
- Unscented: For those who prefer a scented product to mask odors, this unscented formula might not be ideal.
- Medium Grain: While the medium grain assists in clumping, it could potentially be less comfortable for cats with sensitive paws.
- Size of Package: The 40 lb pack, while economical, may be heavy and difficult to handle for some customers.
4. Dr. Elsey’s Respiratory Relief Gel Cat Litter
- Brand: Dr. Elsey’s
- Manufacturer: Dr. Elsey’s
- Color: Clear
- Dimensions: Height: 9.5 Inches Width: 8.0 inches Length: 8.0 inches Weight: 7.5 Pounds `
Dr. Elsey’s Respiratory Relief Gel Cat Litter is an ideal choice for sensitive felines. The hypo-allergenic formula lacks perfumes, deodorants, or plant proteins, reducing the risk of allergic reactions. Infused with stress-reducing herbal essences, it helps create a calming environment. This 7.5-lb bag of non-toxic, low-dust litter effectively traps urine and odor on contact, maintaining a fresh, clean area for your cat. Please note that this is a non-clumping variant, ensuring easier disposal while prioritizing your cat’s respiratory health. Trust Dr. Elsey’s for a cat-friendly, efficient, and safe litter solution.
- Hypo-allergenic Formula: The lack of perfumes, deodorants, and plant proteins helps minimize the risk of allergic reactions in sensitive cats.
- Stress-Reducing Herbal Essences: Infused with calming herbal essences, this litter helps to create a serene environment for your feline friend.
- Non-Toxic and Low Dust: Its low-dust formula is gentle on your cat’s respiratory system, and being non-toxic, it’s safe for use.
- Odor Control: It effectively traps urine and odor on contact, ensuring your home stays fresh and clean.
- Easy Disposal: As a non-clumping litter, it allows for easier clean-up and disposal.
- Non-Clumping: This might not be preferable for some cat owners who like the convenience of removing solid waste clumps.
- Potential Herbal Essence Allergy: While rare, some cats might still have a sensitivity or allergic reaction to the herbal essences used.
- Odor Trapping Efficiency: Being perfume-free, this litter might not mask odors as effectively as other scented options for some users.
5. WORLD’S BEST CAT LITTER Low Tracking & Dust Control
- Brand: World’s Best Cat Litter
- Manufacturer: Kent Pet Group
- Color: Low Tracking Dust Control Multiple Cat Unscented
- Dimensions: Height: 6.75 Inches Width: 12.813 Inches Length: 19.063 Inches Weight: 32.0 Pounds `
Introducing the WORLD’S BEST CAT LITTER – a revolutionary low tracking, 99.9% dust-free, unscented solution that accommodates multiple cats. Its larger granules prevent mess, keeping litter contained, while its outstanding odor control keeps your home fresh and welcoming. Experience the ease of quick clumping and simple scooping, eliminating the hassle of chiseling and scraping. Notably, it’s flushable and septic-safe, sparing you tedious trips to the garbage. This product is a tribute to our commitment to pets, people, and the planet, made from whole-kernel corn, free from harmful chemicals and artificial perfumes. Enjoy a cleaner, fresher, and more sustainable home with our litter.
- Low Tracking: The larger granules reduce the chance of litter being tracked out of the box, maintaining cleanliness.
- Outstanding Odor Control: This unscented formula provides long-lasting odor control, keeping your home smelling fresh even with multiple cats.
- Quick Clumping & Easy Scooping: The quick clumping action allows easy clean-up without the need for tedious scraping.
- Flushable & Septic Safe: This litter can be flushed down the toilet, eliminating the inconvenience of trash disposal and is safe for septic and sewer systems.
- Eco-Friendly & Safe: The litter is made from whole-kernel corn, free from harmful chemicals and artificial perfumes, making it safe for pets, people, and the planet.
- Unscented: While unscented, it might not mask odor as effectively as scented variants for some users.
- Price: Premium features might make this product more expensive than other standard cat litters on the market.
- Texture: Larger granules might be less comfortable for some cats, leading to potential litter box avoidance.
6. Arm & Hammer Platinum SLIDE Easy Clean
- Brand: Arm & Hammer
- Manufacturer: Church & Dwight – Pet
- Dimensions: Height: 13.69 Inches Width: 11.75 Inches Length: 7.0 Inches Weight: 37.0 Pounds `
Arm & Hammer Platinum SLIDE Easy Clean, Multi-Cat Clumping Litter offers an effortless cleaning solution with its patented EZ Clean Technology. No more scraping or scrubbing; it easily slides out of the box, taking the hassle out of litter cleanup. Utilizing a potent blend of odor eliminators and baking soda, it destroys sealed-in odors on contact, providing superior odor control. This advanced formula offers 10% more odor eliminators than standard litter. Its rock-hard clumps enable easy scooping, while moisture-activated micro-granules seal odors tightly. Arm & Hammer guarantees a 7-day odor-free home, making it a breakthrough product in feline care.
- EZ Clean Technology: The patented formula makes cleanup effortless, with litter that slides right out, eliminating the need for scraping or scrubbing.
- Superior Odor Control: Armed with powerful odor eliminators and Arm & Hammer baking soda, the product destroys sealed-in odors on contact.
- Enhanced Formula: With 10% more odor eliminators than the standard version, it offers superior odor management.
- Easy Scooping: The product forms rock-hard clumps for convenient scooping and waste disposal.
- 7-Day Odor-Free Guarantee: Arm & Hammer guarantees an odor-free home for seven days, making the living environment more pleasant for both cats and their owners.
- Cost: The advanced features and patented technology may make this product more expensive than other cat litters on the market.
- Dust: Despite its numerous advantages, the product may still produce dust, which can be an issue for both pets and owners with allergies or sensitivities.
- Weight: At 37 lbs, the product is relatively heavy, making it difficult to carry or pour for some users.
7. Arm & Hammer Cloud Control Platinum Multi-Cat Clumping Cat Litter
- Brand: Arm & Hammer
- Manufacturer: Church & Dwight – Pet
- Color: Black
- Dimensions: Weight: 27.5 Pounds `
The Arm & Hammer Cloud Control Platinum Multi-Cat Clumping Cat Litter offers a refreshing experience for pet owners. Infused with baking soda and potent odor eliminators, it swiftly neutralizes waste odors, maintaining freshness for up to 14 days – perfect for multi-cat homes. Dander Shield Technology ensures litter box cleaning is hassle-free, reducing airborne dander and containing any dust within the box. Its hypoallergenic light scent provides a pleasant alternative to unscented or heavily fragranced litters. This online-exclusive formula is 10% more powerful than regular varieties, instantly eliminating urine and feces odors, while being 99% dust-free for added convenience.
- Powerful Odor Control: With baking soda and potent odor eliminators, the litter neutralizes waste odors on contact, providing up to 14 days of freshness.
- Dander Shield Technology: This technology helps reduce airborne dander, keeping dust contained within the litter box for easier cleanups.
- Hypoallergenic Light Scent: Provides a pleasant alternative to unscented or heavily fragranced litters, ideal for those sensitive to strong scents.
- Enhanced Formula: The online-exclusive formula has 10% more odor eliminators than regular varieties, providing instant and efficient control over urine and feces odors.
- Dust-Free: The litter is 99% dust-free, mitigating concerns about dust clouds during pouring or scooping.
- Online Exclusive: The advanced formula is only available online, which could be inconvenient for those who prefer shopping in-store.
- Hypoallergenic Scent: While it’s a pro for some, those who prefer unscented litter might find the light fragrance bothersome.
- Multiple Cats: Though designed for multi-cat households, it may not fully control odors in homes with a high number of cats, requiring more frequent changes.
8. BoxiePro Deep Clean Probiotic Clumping Cat Litter
- Brand: Boxiecat
- Manufacturer: Boxiecat LLC
- Color: Black
- Dimensions: Height: 15.0 Inches Width: 9.0 Inches Length: 6.5 Inches Weight: 16.0 Pounds `
- Publication Date: 2018-09-04T00:00:01Z
BoxiePro Deep Clean is an award-winning, scent-free probiotic clumping cat litter designed for a cleaner home. Its enhanced blend of natural probiotics targets waste, ensuring a 24/7 deep clean of your litter box at a microscopic level. The product is crafted to reduce the spread of waste throughout the home, keeping your living spaces clean. This Boxiecat formula includes classic benefits like rock-hard clumps, zero odors, 99.9% dust-free content, and low-tracking granules. Moreover, it lasts twice as long because it maintains its cleanliness and dryness. Housed in a 16 lb black packaging, this clay-based litter ensures an ultra-clean litter box experience.
- Deep Cleaning: The enhanced blend of natural probiotics delivers deep cleaning of your litter box around the clock, ensuring a sanitary environment.
- Reduces Waste Spread: This litter is designed to limit the dispersion of waste throughout the home, contributing to a cleaner living space.
- Classic Benefits: It includes key features like zero odors, rock-hard clumps, 99.9% dust-free content, and low-tracking granules for easy maintenance.
- Long-Lasting: The litter remains clean and dry, extending its usability to twice as long as standard litters.
- Scent-Free: This formula is free from added fragrances, ideal for cats and owners sensitive to scents.
- Weight: At 16 lbs, the packaging might be heavy to handle for some users.
- Dust-Free, But Not Dust-Proof: While it’s 99.9% dust-free, a small amount of dust might still be produced.
- Color: The black color of the litter might not appeal to all, especially those who prefer to see the contrast of waste for easier cleaning.
9. Fresh Step Lightweight Clumping Cat Litter
- Brand: Fresh Step
- Manufacturer: Fresh Step
- Color: Gray
- Dimensions: Height: 12.06 Inches Width: 5.19 Inches Length: 11.63 Inches Weight: 15.4 Pounds `
Experience the convenience of Fresh Step Lightweight Simply Unscented Cat Litter. Free from added fragrances and dyes, this 15.4 lbs pack delivers equivalent use to a 22 lbs box, thanks to its 30% lighter formula. The triple-action combination of clay, carbon, and minerals stops odors on contact, ensuring a fresh-smelling home. Unlike typical litters, it’s 99.9% dust-free, ensuring clean surfaces and smooth particles that are gentle on your cat’s paws. Trust the power of activated charcoal technology plus essential minerals for high-quality clumping cat litter. Choose Fresh Step for easy digging and ultimate feline comfort.
- Free from Added Fragrances and Dyes: Ideal for cats and owners who are sensitive to scents or artificial dyes.
- Lightweight Formula: It’s 30% lighter than conventional cat litter, providing the same usage as a heavier pack.
- Odor Control: The blend of clay, carbon, and minerals effectively neutralizes odors on contact, keeping the home fresh-smelling.
- Dust-Free: With a 99.9% dust-free formula, this litter ensures cleaner surfaces and less mess in your home.
- Gentle on Paws: The smooth particles are gentle on your cat’s paws, making them comfortable for your pet to use.
- Unscented: Some pet owners might prefer a scented litter to further mask odors.
- Clumping: While clumping is a pro for some, others might find the clumps difficult to remove or messy.
- Price: Given its advanced features, it may be priced higher than some other cat litter on the market.
10. Cat’s Pride Max Power Clumping Hypoallergenic Multi-Cat Litter
- Brand: Cat’s Pride
- Manufacturer: OilDri
- Color: Green
- Dimensions: Height: 5.7 Inches Width: 9.25 Inches Length: 13.5 Inches Weight: 15.0 Pounds `
Experience superior odor control with Cat’s Pride Max Power Total Odor Control. This innovative litter, powered by a patented dual-clay formula, provides a remarkable 10-day* odor control and exhibits our strongest clumping ability. Enjoy the convenience of a 99% dust-free solution that’s 25% lighter for easy handling. Designed hypoallergenic, this unscented, dye-free litter caters to sensitive cats, ensuring a comfortable environment. We’re proud to donate a pound of litter for every purchase, supporting animal welfare. Suitable for all ages and breeds, this 15-pound jug offers cost-effective quality, making it the ultimate choice for every cat household.
- Exceptional Odor Control: The patented Max Power dual-clay formula provides up to 10 days of odor control, maintaining a fresh environment.
- Strong Clumping: The litter forms strong clumps that are easy to scoop, making clean-up quick and convenient.
- Hypoallergenic and Unscented: This fragrance and dye-free formula is hypoallergenic, ideal for cats and households with sensitivities.
- Charitable Cause: For every purchase, a pound of litter is donated to animal welfare organizations, aligning your purchase with supporting animals in need.
- Versatile Use: It’s suitable for all ages and breeds of cats, making it a versatile choice for multi-cat households.
- Might Be Too Lightweight: At 25% lighter than regular litter, it may scatter more easily when your cat is using the litter box.
- Unscented Formula: While it’s beneficial for sensitive cats, some pet owners might prefer a scented litter for additional odor control.
- Only Available in Larger Size: The 15-pound jug might be too heavy or bulky for some to handle, and smaller sizes aren’t mentioned.
How To Choose The Right Litter For a Cat With Asthma?
To choose the right litter for a cat with asthma, consider using unscented, low dust, and non-tracking litter. These types of litter can help reduce respiratory irritation in cats with asthma.
Cats with asthma can have trouble breathing, coughing, wheezing, and have reduced energy levels. As such, choosing the right litter is a crucial task for pet owners with asthmatic cats. Unscented and low-dust litter helps prevent chemical irritants, and non-tracking litter keeps dust from spreading.
Other factors such as biodegradability, compostability, and grain-based litter can also be beneficial. It’s essential to test different litter types to know which one suits your cat’s respiratory needs. Proper litter choice can improve your cat’s quality of life and reduce their asthma symptoms. A veterinarian’s advice can also be helpful in making an informed decision on the best litter for your cat.
Factors To Consider When Choosing Litter For A Cat With Asthma
If you have a cat with asthma, it can be challenging to choose the right litter. The wrong type of litter can aggravate asthma symptoms and cause breathing difficulties. Here are some factors you should consider when choosing litter for your cat with asthma:
Cats with asthma are more sensitive to dust particles, and traditional clay litters can emit a lot of dust when they’re scooped or pawed at. Dust-free litters are the best option for cats with asthma. These types of litter produce little to no dust, making them perfect for cats with respiratory issues.
Some examples of dust-free litter are corn, wheat, and paper pellet litter.
Fragrant litter can emit harmful chemicals that may cause respiratory issues in cats, especially for those with asthma. These types of litter can also be overwhelming for cats’ sensitive noses. Choosing a fragrance-free litter can help prevent potential irritation or adverse reactions in cats with asthma.
Low-tracking litters are ideal for cats with asthma. They move around less, helping to minimize the amount of litter dust and debris that can get into the air and irritate their lungs. Low-tracking litters are also easier to clean up, which can save time and hassle for cat owners.
Heavy litter can be difficult to handle and can cause discomfort for cats with asthma, especially if they need to dig around in the litter box to cover their mess. Opting for a lightweight litter can help cats with asthma breathe easier, and it’s also easier to handle and pour.
Alternative Litter Materials
Traditional clay litter may not be the best choice for cats with asthma due to its tendency to produce dust. Thankfully, there are alternative litter materials available, such as recycled paper pellets or crystal litter that can be gentler on their respiratory system.
These types of litter are absorbent, eco-friendly and provide excellent odor control.
Selecting the right litter for cats with asthma is essential for their health and well-being. By considering the factors mentioned above such as dust-free, fragrance-free, low-tracking, lightweight, and alternative litter materials, you can choose a litter that helps alleviate your cat’s respiratory issues.
Tips For Keeping Your Cat’S Litter Box Asthma-Friendly
If your cat has asthma, selecting the correct litter and maintaining an asthma-friendly litter box is critical. Asthma is a respiratory condition that makes breathing difficult for cats, so it is important to choose a litter that does not provoke any uncomfortable symptoms.
Consider the following points when setting up your cat’s litter box.
Regular Box Cleaning
Keeping your cat’s litter box clean is critical to maintaining an asthma-friendly environment. The following are some guidelines for litter box cleaning:
- Scoop the litter box at least twice a day.
- Change the litter entirely at least once a week.
- Wear gloves to clean the litter box.
Good ventilation is essential for maintaining an asthma-friendly environment. The following are some guidelines for setting up a properly ventilated litter box:
- Place the litter box in a ventilated area of the home.
- Use an exhaust fan in the same room as the litter box.
- Open windows or doors to let fresh air circulate.
Choosing The Right Litter Box Location
The location of the litter box is also crucial in maintaining an asthma-friendly environment. The following are some guidelines for selecting the right litter box location:
- Place the litter box in a calm, low-traffic area.
- Avoid placing the litter box near any air vents, windows, or doors.
- Place the litter box away from the cat’s eating or sleeping area.
How To Introduce New Litter Gradually?
Switching litter brands or types is a significant adjustment for cats. If you must introduce new litter, do it gradually to minimize any asthma symptoms. The following are some guidelines for introducing new litter gradually:
- Mix a small amount of the new litter with the old litter for several days.
- Gradually increase the amount of new litter in the following days.
- Monitor your cat’s reaction to the new litter and consult with a veterinarian if necessary.
To sum up, maintaining an asthma-friendly litter box for your cat requires careful thought, time, and attention. Proper litter box cleaning, good ventilation, selecting the right litter box location, and gradual introduction of new litter all contribute to providing a comfortable and safe environment for your cat.
Types Of Litter To Avoid For Cats With Asthma
If you have a cat with asthma, it is crucial to select the right litter to avoid triggering their condition. Below are the different types of litter to avoid for cats with asthma:
Clay litters are made from bentonite clay and are commonly used by pet owners, but they are not suitable for cats with respiratory issues. Here are the primary reasons why they should be avoided:
- Clay litters have fine dust that irritates respiratory systems, causing flare-ups in cats suffering from asthma.
- Clay litter contains silica, which can also cause respiratory problems for cats.
Some cat litter is artificially scented to suppress unpleasant odors, but avoid them if you have an asthmatic cat. Here is why:
- Artificial scents contain many chemicals that can irritate the lungs and airways.
- The fragrance used in these litters can cause allergic reactions and trigger asthma attacks.
Some cat owners prefer crystal litters due to their odor-absorbing properties, but they’re not recommended for cats with asthma. Here’s why:
- Crystal litters generate fine dust when they break down, just like clay.
- They contain a highly absorbent substance called silica gel, which can worsen respiratory problems if inhaled.
When selecting cat litter, avoid clay, scented, and crystal litters to prevent asthma flares in your feline friend. Instead, choose eco-friendly alternatives like paper-based or natural litter free from irritants and chemicals. Encourage good air quality by keeping the litter box well-ventilated and maintained.
How To Make The Switch To A New Asthma-Friendly Litter?
If you have a cat with asthma, choosing the right litter can be a critical factor in maintaining their health. Finding a litter that doesn’t trigger respiratory issues is crucial. Once you’ve determined the right type of litter for your cat, the next step is to make the switch properly.
Here’s what you need to know.
Changing your cat’s litter can be a challenge, so it’s essential to make the change gradually. Sudden changes can be stressful for your cat, affecting their overall health. Take your time and follow these steps:
- Introduce a small amount of new litter: Start by putting just a small amount of new litter on top of the old litter. Don’t fill the entire tray with the new litter at once.
- Mix the two litters: Gradually increase the amount of new litter, mixing it with the old litter. Mix in more new litter every day until the entire tray is filled with new litter.
- Observe your cat’s behavior: Watch your cat closely and see how they react to the new litter. It may take a few days, but they should eventually get used to it.
The process of changing your cat’s litter may require patience and persistence on your part. Positive reinforcement can help make the transition easier. Here are some ways to encourage your cat to use the new litter:
- Praise your cat: Reward your cat with praise every time they use the new litter box. A treat or a gentle petting session can also work wonders.
- Make litter box cleanings pleasant: Be sure to clean the litter box regularly. If it’s a positive experience for your cat, they’re more likely to use it.
- Use a familiar litter box: Stick with the same litter box your cat is accustomed to if possible. Familiarity can help ease their transition to the new litter.
Monitoring For Any Complications
Transitioning to a new litter does come with some risks. Some cats may have a hard time adjusting, and some may even experience health complications. Keeping a close eye on your cat can help you catch any issues early. It’s essential to be on the lookout for any of the following:
- Signs of stress: If your cat seems more anxious than usual, it could be a sign that they’re not adjusting to the new litter well.
- Litter box avoidance: If your cat begins to avoid the litter box altogether, it could be a sign that they don’t like the new litter.
- Worsening asthma symptoms: If your cat’s respiratory issues seem to be getting worse, it could be a sign that the new litter is causing issues for them.
Switching to a new cat litter can be a daunting task, especially when your cat suffers from asthma. Following these steps and being mindful of your cat’s reaction to the new litter can make the transition smoother. Make sure to monitor your cat’s behavior closely and consult with your veterinarian to ensure their health and well-being.
Frequently Asked Questions Of How To Choose The Right Litter For A Cat With Asthma?
What Type Of Litter Is Best For A Cat With Asthma?
The best option is dust-free litter made from natural materials such as wood, paper, or corn.
Is Scented Litter Harmful To Cats With Asthma?
Yes, it can cause irritation to their airways. Unscented litter is a better option.
How Often Should I Change The Litter For An Asthmatic Cat?
It is recommended to change the litter at least once a week, or more frequently if needed.
Can Switching Litter Brands Improve An Asthmatic Cat’s Health?
Yes, trying a different litter brand made from dust-free and natural materials can be helpful.
Should I Use A Litter Box With A Lid Or Without For An Asthmatic Cat?
It’s best to use a litter box without a lid to allow for proper ventilation and minimize dust.
As a cat owner, choosing the best litter for cat with asthma can be a daunting task. With the numerous options available, it can be overwhelming to decide which type is the best fit for your cat’s needs.
By keeping a few key factors in mind, you can narrow down your choices and select the perfect litter for your cat. First, opt for low-dust or dust-free litters to avoid triggering your cat’s asthma. Similarly, unscented litter should be prioritized over scented options, as fragrance might also aggravate your cat’s condition.
Lastly, be sure to choose a litter that is easy to scoop and maintain for optimal hygiene. Taking these factors into consideration will not only help you choose the right litter for your cat with asthma but will also ensure your cat remains healthy and happy.
About Author (Pauline G. Carter)
Pauline G. Carter is a well-known pet blogger who has written about the world of pets for several years. She is passionate about pets, from cats and dogs to birds, reptiles, and poultry. Her blog, which is updated regularly, is filled with articles and guides on pet care, nutrition, and training. She also shares her experiences and observations on pet ownership, making her blog relatable and informative for pet lovers. She is a true animal advocate and is dedicated to promoting responsible pet ownership. Let’s Go …