Last Updated on September 13, 2020 by Pauline G. Carter
In the 1970s, an American breed of domestic chicken with pea comb was brought from Chile to the United States of America. They were derived from the Araucana chicken breed. This breed is called Ameraucana Chicken. Its breed size is that of a large fowl’s.
Are you familiar with the Araucana breed? Ameraucana chicken breed is very similar to this breed. It has no feathered legs and has 4 toes. It has a dual breed purpose. It carried the blue egg gene, and it was bred for that purpose – to carry the blue egg gene! This chicken breed has suitability to a backyard life.
Ameraucana Chicken | Breed Profile
|Country of origin:||United States|
|Weight:||Male: Standard: 5.5–6.5 lb (2.5–2.9 kg), Bantam: 26–30 oz (740–850 g); Female: Standard: 4.5–5.5 lb (2.0–2.5 kg), Bantam: 24–26 oz (680–740 g)|
|Recognized Varieties:||Blue, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Blue Wheaten, Wheaten, Black, White|
|Egg production (annual)||250|
Characteristics Of The Ameraucana Chicken
Ameraucana chicken breeds are of medium size with 6-7 lbs in general. It has varieties of 8 colors – black, blue, blue wheaten, brown red, buff, silver, wheaten, and white. When it comes to egg-laying, they can goodly lay 3 eggs per week.
One of their fancy features is they are not crested, no feathered legs and have 4 toes. This chicken breed is only available from breeders, and so they are rare. They have muffs and a beard. They are also very hardy and sweet.
Ameraucana Chicken has all-climate tolerance. Their pea comb is their defense against cold climate. They must not be confused with the Easter Eggers breed even though Easter Eggers can also lay blue and green eggs.
They are muffed, bearded, and has a tail. Ameraucana Chickens have noticeably small and round earlobes compared to Araucana chickens. Some have small wattles, or none at all and their shanks are slate blue.
Behavior/ Temperament/ Use
Do you live in a suburban yard? Well, Ameraucana chicken breed is the best choice if you want to make good use of this yard for laying chickens. They are hardy in winter and have no especially heat hardy tolerance. They are especially docile and bear their confinement well.
They possess very little broodiness and have a funny personality. However, when in overcrowded environment, they tend to be traumatized and afraid. Nurturing them properly can bring back their sweet and funny disposition.
They are quiet and have a calm personality, too. Yet, they can outrun any chicken for they are very active and playful. They can run down flies or anything that moves.
The pros and cons of the ameraucana chicken …
What we liked/Pros:
- Ameraucana chickens are domestic pets and great food providers – egg or meat.
- They lay beautiful blue eggs.
- They are a good option for a back yard flock.
- They are sweet and funny.
- This chicken breed is good both for the confined or free-range system.
What we don’t like/Cons:
- Ameraucana chickens may carry a lethal gene that can kill chicks in their shell. It is their genetic make-up, so they say.
- Some chicks have a tendency to brood. But of course, it depends on their situation and environment, food, and shelter.
- Its having 4 toes.
Is Ameraucana Chicken Good for you?
Yes, Ameraucana chickens are definitely good for you for the following reasons:
- Ameraucana chicken is a good source of meat and eggs.
- They are also advisable for those who want to start backyard poultry and are not yet familiar with the best types of chicken breed.
- They are perfect for small homesteads for they are dual purpose.
- They are hardy and can live longer than other chicken breeds.